Welcome! If you are interested in seeing what I'm up to in between blog posts, head on over to my Instagram page where I regularly load photos of what I'm working on. You can also find me on Flickr and of course feel free to wander around the blog. Thank you kindly for taking the time to visit!

2.14.2011

the misfit pillow


Meet The Misfit Pillow.


The Misfit Pillow started out as the first of many blocks I was planning on making for an appliqued monochromatic quilt inspired by the Modern Quilt Guild Project Modern Challenge 2. My stacks of yellow/orange scraps and solids blended well enough (to my eye), but once cut up and separated, there was no way it would ever pass for monochromatic.


The web is ablaze with quilted pillows, so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon before it left town; I had spent a good hour or so machine appliqueing (technique seen here) this block and didn't want it to go to waste.  I free motion quilted small circles in the center of the pillow, a few concentric lines in the middle section, and lots of overlapping free motion lines on the outside edge.


I used what was left of my yellow/orange grid for the back and used some orange bias tape for the edge.


My husband even ventured out in the snow and ice for some last minute *emergency* polyfil (and windshield wiper fluid) so I could finish my project.  Awww.  Thanks dear!


Although The Misfit Pillow started out life as a quilt and endured applique and free motion quilting experimentation I think it is quite well adjusted and living a mostly peaceful life at home on our couch.

Don't you just love happy endings?

I'm entering this pillow in the to Blogger's Pillow Party that Rachel is hosting. 
Be sure stop by and check out all the entries!

Blogger's Pillow Party

I've also entered The Misfit in the Sew Mama Sew's Great Pillow Contest!  SMS has some great pillow inspiration and tutorials this month; make sure to take a look!

13 comments:

Cindy said...

Love it! Very nice quilting, too!!

Jenny said...

this pillow wins my vote. it is freaking awesome! i love this baby!

DHB said...

Lovely pillow! I hope you win...not that winning is important. :)

Jackie Russell said...

Love the pillow!

howtobejenna said...

I love this pillow! The colors and shape are awesome. Great work!

Rachel Hauser said...

oooh, you can sew curves! Cute.

Tasha Roe said...

this is too darling!! you did a great job!

Rosalie said...

Wow, the colours and the design are fabulous, this one is worthy of first place for sure!

JuneBug said...

I LOVE it! The color combo, fabric choices, the curves, it's all so cool! It is reminicent of a retro television, to me. You should enter it into the Sew Mama Sew pillow contest, too!

Jamie said...

Beautiful pillow! It is really nice. I love all of the rounded corners on the front.

liz said...

I love it! The orange/yellow combo is so nice to see in the dreary days of winter!

Naturally Carol said...

Quilt Story had a link here...I love your cushion..a little retro and modern..and beautiful colours. Beautiful work.

Wendy said...

It's beautiful, so cheerful and such hard work has gone into it!!