Welcome! If you are interested in seeing what I'm up to in between blog posts, head on over to my Instagram page where I regularly load photos of what I'm working on. You can also find me on Flickr and of course feel free to wander around the blog. Thank you kindly for taking the time to visit!

7.09.2010

thread

Sew Mama Sew is talking thread and I thought I'd play along for a change. So brace yourselves for my thoughts on thread (i know, it's too much to handle isn't it)! {smile}

How did you select colors for your personal thread collection? I don't have a huge stash of thread but what I do have I aquired one of two ways. I either needed the color for a specific project or it was on sale.

Do you always match the color perfectly to your project? Generally no. I have at times, for sewing felt or things where it is very noticable, but usually I go with something "close enough".

Do you ever use contrasting thread? I haven't tried that (yet).

Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread? Okay, you caught me. There was this one time where I used natural on top and white on the bottom...well and then that other time I used brown and red...alright fine...no I don't always use the same color. Don't judge me! =)

What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors? I just go with one color and stick with it.

Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread? The best thing I've learned about thread is to buy really good quality thread. Your project and sewing machine will thank you. I also don't obsess about the color - close generally works.

Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection? Yes! Although, the word collection might be a stretch...


Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)? Nope, not yet anyway.

Do you “invest” in thread? If there is a killer sale on Mettler or Guetermann - yes! I like to stock up on neutrals.

What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.) I have mostly all-purpose cotton thread. A little quilting and a bunch of Sulky from when a Jo-Ann's was going out of business.

No comments: